How to seek exemption from ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone, London)

In interest of motorcyclists who have been impacted by ULEZ

What is ULEZ?

As per Transport for London website, "To help improve air quality, an Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will be in place in central London from 8 April 2019 in the same area as the Congestion Charge. Most vehicles including cars and vans will need to meet new, tighter exhaust emission standards (ULEZ standards) or be liable for a daily charge to drive within the ULEZ area".

On the same website, it says, "The ULEZ standards are: Euro 3 for motorcycles, mopeds, motorised tricycles and quadricycles (L category)"

Euro 3 came in effect around Jan 2000 and specifies the following emission ceriteria for Petrol engine vehicles:

Carbon MonoOxide (CO): 2.3g/km
Total HydroCarbons (THC): 0.20g/km
Nitrogen Oxide (NOx): 0.15g/km

Is your Motorcycle impacted by ULEZ?

Before you go further, please check if your vehicle is really impacted by ULEZ.
You can do so by entering your vehicle details at TfL's ULEZ Vehicle Checker.

Good news? Your motorcycle already meets ULEZ standards? Great, why not share this page with a friend whose motorcycle may not ?
Bad News? Don't worry, there may be way. Please read on to know more.

So, how does the exemption process work?

There is no back-door, nothing illegal, no charges & no, you dont have to modify your notorcycle.
Most vehicles on the TfL's ULEZ register seems to be have been caught out by following a blanket "Euro-3" rule. Which means even if your motorcycle is Euro-3 it can be ULEZ exempt if its emission levels are less than the one stated above.

Follow the following steps to make your motocycle exempt.

STEP 1: Request a "Certificate of Conformity" from the manufacturer

A Certificate of Conformity is a certificate from the manufacturer confirming almost all the specifications of your motorcycle. It contain way more details that your average V5C. You are not automatically provided with a CoC during the motorcycle purchase, but can request one anytime by email from your motorcycle manufacturer.

Here is image of a genuine request of CoC from Honda for my Pan-European:

Here are some of the manufacturers contacts to request CoC:-
(I will update this page with other manufacturer CoC contacts soon, or you can let me know if you are aware)

Please Note: Most manufacturer's will send you CoC by Post only, so it may take couple of weeks to receive CoC.

STEP 2: Check your Certificate of Conformity: Moment of Truth!

After you have received your CoC, the first thing you should do is to check is the emission level for your motorycle as certified by your manufacturer.
This certification is purely based on your motorcycle being in factory configuration. If you have modified your engine or added fancy pipes, your motorcycle emission may be different from what has been specified and you may find yourself on the wrong side.

Here is image of a genuine of CoC from Honda for my Pan-European:

On your CoC, please go to the Exhaust Emissions section and see the readings for CO, HC & NoX
If each of the reading show less than that stipulated by ULEZ,


It also does not matter too much what Euro level your motorcycle is (its a rough guide).
If your CoC emissions are above ULEZ standards,

bad luck, you will be charged ULEZ :(


STEP 3: Write to TfL to exempt ULEZ for your motorcycle

Now that you have confirmation that your motorcycle has less emissions than that specified by ULEZ, you need to send this evidence to TfL to seek an exemption.
Go to the Make an Enquiry page of TfL website and enter details of your reason for exemption.

Given below is sample image of a genuine application for Honda Pan-European. Please note that this page also has the provision of uploading copies of your CoC & your vehicle V5C. Please upload these documents as evidence for your case.

You will also be given a Reference no. at this stage. Please quote this reference no, in your further correspondence with TfL on this subject.

STEP 4: Keep your fingers crossed & wait...

Based on your evidence, TfL will do their own checks and very likely send their response within few days.
Your application for exemption should now be succesfull and you should get a reply like this:

That's it, Happy Days !

Don't forget to check the ULEZ checker to confirm that TfL have updated their records and that you do not receive a nasty penalty.